How can we help you?
Below you find some of the most frequent questions and their answers—right at your fingertips.
Just click the topic you would like to explore.
I'm an author and am interested in publishing my work with you. How do I start?
Herald Press is the book division of MennoMedia. We accept manuscripts from capable and dedicated authors as we strive to equip the church to experience and share the gospel of Jesus Christ from an Anabaptist perspective.
As a religious publisher, Herald Press provides books honest in presentation, clear in thought, stimulating in content, and leading to the spiritual growth and welfare of the reader. We invite book proposals from Christian authors in the areas of:
– Peace, justice, and other social issues –
– Church life and missions –
– Biblical studies, theology, and ethics –
– Pastoral and lay leadership resources –
– Christian living, meditations, and personal experience –
– Church history and culture –
– Mennonite and Amish life and thought –
– Academic titles relating to Anabaptist themes –
– Children and youth, especially books focused on peace and justice –
– Cookbooks with a faith perspective –
Authors should review the Author’s Guide and the MennoMedia supplement to the Chicago Manual of Style.
How do I send my work to you to review?
When submitting a book proposal, please follow these guidelines:
- Completed proposal form
- One-paragraph summary of the book
- Table of contents and one-or-two sentence summary of each chapter
- Two of the book’s chapters; include the first chapter and one additional chapter
- Name of Bible version used (such as NRSV)
- Résumé or brief statement of author’s educational, publishing, religious, professional, and community involvements
How do I send electronic items?
Send electronic submissions to:
We work to respond to all submissions within six months. If your proposal has potential for Herald Press, a finished manuscript will be requested. Because of the volume of manuscripts we receive, we are unable to comment in detail on all manuscripts.
We no longer accept hard copy submissions.
Do you work with Illustrators?
Herald Press releases a wide variety of new books each year for adults, young people, and children. We sometimes commission cover art appropriate to the specific nature of a book. Usually we need a full-color cover illustration that includes people, rendered in the medium of the artist’s choice. Occasionally we commission black and white illustrations for use inside a book. We tend toward realistic rather than abstract treatments.
We welcome submissions of your work for our review. Please send samples we can keep on file. Samples may include tear sheets, photocopies (both black-and-white and color), slides, photographs, and original art. All must fit in an 8 1/2 x 11 file folder. Include a cover letter and short résumé with your submission. If you want a reply regarding our interest in your work, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Send all submissions to:
P.O. Box 866
Harrisonburg, VA 22803
Are professors given any sort of discount?
Yes! Herald Press is pleased to offer professors a 25% discount on many titles and 10% on short discount titles.
I can’t seem to find a specific book in your catalog. Is there a way to request said book?
We are always happy to increase our catalog of books, especially if you’re unable to find a certain title. Please send us an email with the book title, author and ISBN (if known) and we’ll be in touch about your request.
I’m currently searching for course material. Is there any way to request a copy to see if it would fit in my curriculum?
We are glad to be able to offer a copy, free of charge for these instances.* To submit a request, please call 1-(800)-245-7894 or email our customer service at one of the following emails: CustomerService@MennoMedia.org or HP@MennoMedia.org.
Please have the following information prepared before reaching out to customer service:
• ISBN (if known)
• Name of college and/or college bookstore
• Course number and anticipated class size
• Name and address
I'm interested in becoming a retailer. How do I start?
Thank you for your interest in selling Herald Press books. If you represent a retail bookstore, mission organization, or a business and are interested in purchasing any of our titles at special trade discounts, we request that you read our through our Trade Discount Schedule and complete our Application For Trade Recognition. Once completed, please submit the form via e-mail.
Is there any way I can browse your collection?
View a catalog of some of our most recent and upcoming releases.
Are churches, schools, or public libraries given any sort of discount?
At Mennomedia, we know the important role of church, school, and public libraries. That’s why we offer all church, school, and public libraries an ongoing discount of 25 percent off most titles (10 percent on short discount titles and no discount on curriculum, hymnals, and songbooks).
How do librarians order your books?
There are two ways for librarians to order books: Online or by using our catalog. Contact us if you wish to receive a MennoMedia catalog. Please e-mail or call 1-800-245-7894 to set up your account to receive the librarian discount.
What are your terms for using your intellectual property?
For use of intellectual property (including copying or reproducing in any way, adapting, or translating) from MennoMedia or Herald Press, or predecessor imprints Faith & Life Resources or Third Way Media, contact:
What is your mission statement?
Herald Press provides books that equip the church to experience and share the gospel of Jesus Christ from an Anabaptist perspective.
What are your goals?
- To publish books with an Anabaptist perspective for adults (general readers, academics and pastors), youth and children.
- To address authentically and creatively such issues as peacemaking, biblical studies, mission, family and church life as a ministry of the Mennonite Church Canada and USA.
- To collaborate with Mennonite related boards, agencies and publishers in creation, marketing and distribution of books to Christian book buyers, distributors and the general public.
*MennoMedia reserves the right to evaluate each request on its merit.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
No worries. Send us a message and we’ll be in touch.